Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Running the Race

The Christian walk is often likened to a race. In 1 Corinthians Paul bids us to run the race so we might get the prize at the end. In Hebrews 12:1 we are called to run with perseverance the race marked out for us. I enjoy running, but am not committed enough to call myself a runner or competitive enough to call myself a racer. A lot of the time it feels like the Christian life is at a 100 yard dash pace for the distance of a marathon. Basically, it's hard. It takes everything out of you and then there is still more race to run. Lovely.

I'm particularly aware of this sense of sprinting a marathon here in Japan. Everything is heightened here, the good becomes great, the hard becomes impossible, the sad becomes heart-breaking. This part of my race is more difficult. I felt pretty spiritually "in shape" coming into the year, if you will allow me to stretch my metaphors that far, but one can never be perfectly prepared. There are always bumps in the race path, muscles tighten without notice, the weather conditions worsen. Life happens. But one must continue racing.

In Hebrews 6, the early church is implored to keep running the race. In verses 9-12 the author writes,

"Even though we speak like this, dear friends, we are confident of better things in your case- things that accompany salvation. God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your hope sure. We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised."


These Christians were growing weary in their race. Here they were reminded that God had seen and delighted in all they had done for him thus far. They were encouraged to find joy in being diligent in continuing to love and serve God's children. They were called to not only race well, but also to finish well, with faith and patience.

I was challenged by this call to run my race with faith and patience. I challenge you to join me in that. And remember what a joy and privilege it is to run this race for our heavenly Father.

1 comment:

  1. I was just reading Hebrews 12 this past week! I love the reminder to keep going, even when we're weary.

    ReplyDelete