Friday, September 21, 2012

Take me out to the ballgame

I checked something off the ol' bucket list on Wednesday night! My team and I went to a Japanese baseball game, choreographed cheers and warning whistles on foul balls included. It was quite the experience, everything I hoped for and more.

One of my teammates had a friend who was able to get us discounted tickets for the team her company owns. Because of this connection we were instant Rakuten Eagle fans. It worked out in our favor because they ended up winning 14-2. Not too shabby! And seven of the 14 were scored in the first inning. The real fans in the outfield stand when their team is up to bat and have personalized cheers for each player. Needless to say the first inning we were on our feet a very long time.

Following is a small taste of what Japan baseball is like...


We enjoyed trying to learn the cheers, constantly messing up the clapping and inserting fist pumps when there weren't supposed to be any. We amused ourselves by being the only people to yell "Charge" after the typical American cheer "do do da do do do" seemingly inserted as a mild tribute to America's pastime. We also almost caught a couple balls and made it on the big screen. And every time we scored the people around us would give us all high fives! What a night!

Tokyo Dome is home to the Giants, so of course the corner 7-Eleven is dedicated to them! For my NorCal friends :)

Our seats in the outfield

Jacob, Mark, and Christine

Kylan, Albert, Katie, and me

Mom taking pictures of her kids playing catch on the field

Creeper shot I took of the boys sitting in front of us, it was too good not to document!


All I can say now is go Eagles!


No comments:

Post a Comment