Tuesday, September 10, 2013

There and back again

I write these words in the comfort of my teeny tiny apartment in Nishi-Waseda, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo! After a few months back in the states it's surreal but also sweet to be back here in Japan. God has done so much to bring me to this place- it's humbling to think about.

I'm still in a bit of a limbo state as 3/5ths of my team (aka three people) are still waiting to receive visas. My re-stinting teammate and I came ahead of them in order to renew our visas from last year. While we wait for our teammates we're just kinda hanging out- seeing friends, getting settled in, going to old haunts around the city, and mentally preparing for when university starts in a couple weeks and ministry is in full swing.

It feels so normal being here. Walking to get groceries, taking the train, going to the nearest 7-eleven for whatever I need, it just feels right. Funny how one can make that switch so quickly. Leaving home and family felt harder this year, more costly, but being back in Japan also feels more satisfying. I truly love this place and its people. It means the world that the Lord has allowed me to return.

Each culture has its little quirks and a very distinct personality. I love being able to be immersed in Japan's personality again. As much as this place needs the hope of the gospel it is also very apparent how the Lord poured himself into the making of these people. There is so much beauty, so much rich tradition, so much courage and honor and perseverance. Certainly it is broken and tainted, but the Lord can fully redeem all these aspects of the culture. I'm praying he will continue that work through me and my team this upcoming year.

Checking in

At LAX with the fam

Mark and me

1 comment: