Thursday, May 1, 2014

Blemished Sacrifices

Israel really can be so aggravating sometimes. Take in Malachi for example. In chapter one Malachi's word from God is this: "I have loved you," says the Lord." Encouraging right?

Well, listen to Israel's horrible response. "But you ask, "How have you loved us?"

I got really mad at them when I read that. Did they really just say that? Did they really just ask God how he had loved them? After all the years of faithfulness, all the times he had mercy on them and forgave them for their unfaithfulness because of his covenant with Abraham, did they really just ask for an example? How dense are they?

And there's more. The second section of chapter one deals with the "blemished sacrifices" they were bringing before the Lord.

God says "A son honors his father, and a servant his master. If I am a father, where is the honor due me? If I am a master, where is the respect due me?...It is you, O priests, who show contempt for my name."

Israel's reply? "How have we shown contempt for your name?...How have we defiled you?"

They really are so thick headed sometimes.

Instead of bringing the firstfruits of all they had, they brought the crippled and diseased and blind. The animals they brought for sacrifice would not have pleased a human ruler, much less the King of heaven and earth. Yet they continued to light such useless fires before him.  And further still they complained about the burden of these offerings, sniffing at them contemptuously. Cheating God out of the whole and perfect offerings he alone deserves and complaining all the while...not good.

I was feeling pretty indignant by this point in my reading. When the Lord said "My name will be great among the nations, from the rising to the setting of the sun. In every place incense and pure offerings will be brought to my name, because my name will be great among the nations," I got even more annoyed. How could Israel be okay with bringing anything less than their best before God, the one whose name will be great among the nations of the world?

But then a small still voice in me asked this question- What about you Quinn? Aren't you as bad as the Israelites? Don't you bring blemished sacrifices before the Lord too? Why don't you consider the plank in your own eye before pointing out the speck in the eye of Israel?

Ouch.

All the things I was annoyed at Israel about, I am guilty of myself. Perhaps that's why I had such a strong response, it just hit too close to home.

Like Israel, I challenge the Lord's love for me, asking for proof after he has time and time again showered me with undeserved grace. I come before the throne of grace with mediocre offerings at best, ones that require little real sacrifice on my part. Even with these half-hearted attempts I grumble at the inconvenience and discomfort of having to sacrifice things like time or effort.

God had mercy on Israel for their blemished sacrifices; I know he has shown me the same mercy. He alone can redeem and use all the half-hearted attempts I have made, all the mediocre offerings I have been trying to pass off as acceptable ones. He has opened my eyes to my impudence, arrogance, laziness, disrespect and contempt of his name and forgiven me abundantly in all these areas.

I pray he teaches me what it means to bring acceptable sacrifices before him, to offer my very best and to do so in joy and thanksgiving. I pray that because his name will be made great among the nations and I want my offerings to be a true testimony to that great name.

No comments:

Post a Comment