Saturday, July 24, 2010

Saturday in the City

Good morning! Saturday is our Sabbath if we don't have appointments with students so I have the morning/early afternoon to rest. I'm quite thankful for that as this last week with the heat and range of emotions has been quite draining. I've been reading through Job the past few days. It's been a little weird to read just because I feel like I can't relate to it in a super intimate way, but Job's attitude has definitely set me a good example to follow.

My favorite chunk of verses so far is 19:25-27: "I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; with my own eyes- I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!" It reminded me that if a guy who has lost everything material and physical and can still praise the Lord and look forward to the day of his return, how much more should I be confident in the fact that "my Redeemer lives"? Anyways, I thought that was really cool.

Yesterday was refreshing for me because I just had two appointments with students. I ate lunch with a girl named Eriko with my team leader Jennie. We ended up talking for over two hours. The second appointment was with a girl named Aiko whom I had met on monday sitting on a bench on campus. She was hilarious! She was very enthusiastic, peppering the conversation with lots of Wow!'s and the inevitable Asian "mmm". She's in the magic circle so she did a couple card tricks for Christine and me. We got to talk a lot about Japanese culture and American culture and shared the gospel too. She was very open to listening but said it was all too new to really believe it. We gave her a Manga version of the gospel and she seemed very excited to read through it. Please be praying for her and for Eriko, that God would be moving in their hearts.

Last night we had a small outreach event where we invited students to come to the guys' apartment for sundaes. About 6 or 7 students came and we hung out for several hours. It was fun to get to know them better in a more personal setting and it seemed like they really enjoyed the time as well.

Anyways, there is a mini update of the most recent news. Thank you for all of you who have encouraged me through the blog, Facebook or e-mail. You have reminded me what matters most and I'm so thankful for that! Blessings in him, our Redeemer who lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment